0800 1577497
Call Dreamhousebuyer Free NOW
email: info@dreamhousebuyer.co.uk

The Latest Property News

    Enquire now
Ensuring the utmost electrical safety of your rental property Fri, 04 Jul 2014 12:59

As a landlord, there are many things that may prompt you to sell a house with a tenant - and one of them may be difficulties in ensuring the highest level of electrical safety. It should absolutely go without saying that your tenants need to have use of electrical wiring circuits, switches and sockets that are adequate, in good working order and safe.


Maintaining electrical safety can be more difficult when many tenants are sharing the house, each one possibly having their own computer, television, hi-fi, bedside lamp and perhaps a kettle and toaster. There will therefore need to be enough electrical sockets for these various appliances. Get a competent electrician to carry out regular inspections of your electrical wiring installations, so that your tenants' wellbeing and safety are not put at risk.


Legislation relevant to the electrical safety of a tenanted house include the Consumer Protection Act 1987, the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and the Plugs and Pockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994. Electrical equipment that came into the supply chain after 1st January 1987 must be in compliance with the 1994 regulations.


However, if electrical equipment was in the supply chain prior to 1st January 1987 and does not bear CE marking - the declaration by the manufacturer of the product meeting the relevant European Directive - it can still be supplied on the basis that it satisfies the requirements of the 1989 regulations. Those earlier regulations simply stipulate that the only electrical equipment that can be placed on the market is that not jeopardising the safety of people, property and domestic animals.


You can best ensure safety when buying new electrical equipment by checking for its conformance with British Standards or other approved safety standards. Such equipment's compliance with the regulations is signalled by the presence of the 'CE' mark. Those landlords with old existing appliances or who opt to buy second-hand equipment are advised to have a competent electrician carry out a thorough safety check.


For all of the electrical equipment in your rental investment property, you should have a satisfactory test programme in place, ideally encompassing both visual and full electrical checks. The type and frequency of checks will be determined by the appliance in question and how often the tenant uses it, although again, a qualified electrical engineer can provide invaluable advice here.


Do you lack the time and money to ensure the utmost safety of your property for your tenants? If so, contact Dream House Buyer. Sell your house with a tenant to us in a fuss-free manner that takes the property swiftly off your hands.


Find News items by date

  November 2019  
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

   Recent News

   We really do buy any home
       published 10-Sep-2014 10:09

    How to identify and resolve structural problems in older properties
       published 18-Jul-2014 14:07

   The steps to evicting an assured tenant
       published 18-Jul-2014 14:07

   Make sure you evict your tenant legally
       published 18-Jul-2014 14:07

   Why you may be tempted to purchase a short-leasehold home
       published 18-Jul-2014 14:07

We are offline but if you leave your message and contact details, we will get back to you

Phone Number...